Ello. Long time no post, I know. LOL Things have been very busy around here lately. I’ve gotten my sewing mojo back and completed a few projects that I’ll be posting. First up is Simplicity 2404.
I started this dress as part of a little black dress challenge in the “Sewn Up – A Group for Sewists and Would-be Sewists” sewing group on Facebook. The challenge was for the month of February but seeing that it is now July I obviously didn’t complete it in time. LOL
I chose view B with the sleeves of view A. I picked this pattern since it was in the “Amazing Fit” collection and liked the idea of different bust and hip pattern pieces. I decided on a black stretch sateen–which attracts so much lint that I would never use it again–and went on my way. Little did I know that the instructions would give me the biggest headache I’d ever had.
First of all, if I had known the instructions called for basting the dress and putting it together one way, then taking it apart and sewing it another way, I would have just made a muslin and gone from there. Ugh. The dress had so much ease that I had to recut my pattern pieces in a smaller size and still take in the seams.
This was a dress of several firsts. I had never sewn princess seams before and the instructions left me confused for days. Even after asking my group for help, I still didn’t get the seams lined up completely the way I wanted. I was starting to wonder if my pattern pieces were drawn incorrectly. As others have noticed about this pattern, the shoulders extend too far. Adding sleeves, though, seems to make it less noticeable.
And the directions to sew a lapsed zipper after the front and back were already sewn together made the zipper very difficult to get in. I ended up with puckering at the bottom of my zipper. I also sewed set-in sleeves for the very first time. Google searching helped A LOT with that part.
All in all I do like the way the dress fits but I don’t think I will sew this pattern again. There are some other sheaths that I want to try first.